The Brand Fels
The Fels brand comprises a range of high-quality burned and unburned lime products and mineral aggregate mixes. Fels is both product and corporate brand in one.
The Fels plants originated in Lower Saxony. This is where the company "Steine und Erden GmbH" was established during the construction of the iron and steelworks in the Salzgitter region – today Salzgitter AG – at the end of the 1930s. Since 1950, the company has been headquartered in Goslar. Since 1971, "Fels-Werke GmbH" has been the official name of the company.
In 1991 Fels-Werke GmbH, then still a subsidiary of Preussag AG, acquired Harz-Kalk GmbH with the plants at Kaltes Tal, Rübeland and Hornberg, all located in the eastern Harz region, together with Schraplau close to Halle and Oberrohn in the vicinity of Eisenach, from the Treuhand (state trust agency set up following the reunification of Germany).
Upon the acquisition of the lime production plants at Rüdersdorf outside Berlin and Saal close to Regensburg in 1999, Fels-Werke GmbH became the second largest lime producer in Germany.
Fels supplies some five million tons of lime products to customers from a broad range of industries, including the steel industry, environmental protection and railroad sectors. Lime and limestone products are also used in the chemicals, civil engineering, agricultural and forestry sectors – and in further important industrial applications.